>

Sunday, November 12, 2017

CHRISTMAS ROSE



In September, Michelle Lupton asked me to join in her Christmas challenge - there would be a word around which the card would be created.  So, of course, I agreed to play and a few days later here comes the word "edible".  Yikes, me with all my flower stamps and not a stamp or anything with cookies or gingerbread men or regular stuff that one would normally eat!!!!  But some flowers are edible - and I found a great site that explained how flowers are used in haute cuisine.  Here's what it says about roses:
Roses (Rosa rugosa or R. gallica officinalis) – Flavors depend on type, color, and soil conditions. Flavor reminiscent of strawberries and green apples.  Sweet, with subtle undertones ranging from fruit to mint to spice.  All roses are edible, with the flavor being more pronounced in the darker varieties.  In miniature varieties can garnish ice cream and desserts, or larger petals can be sprinkled on desserts or salads.  Freeze them in ice cubes and float them in punches also.  Petals used in syrups, jellies, perfumed butters and sweet spreads.

I ended up making two cards - couldn't decide which one to post, so here are both of them.  For the first card, I watercolored some Altenew bamboo roses, added them to a HA wreath with "joy" in the middle and some Nuvo clear glitter drops.  For my second card, I used a rose stencil and watercolored very lightly with some pinks and yellows.  Die cut two wreaths which I layered and added the little sentiment.  Very non-traditional colors, but I'm happy with the result.


Thanks Michelle for asking me to join you in this challenge - am anxious to see your card and all the ones from others you have challenged.  You can see Michelle's card here.

So pleased you all stopped by today and love to read your kind comments.

10 comments:

  1. Love your rose cards - and I love your unconventional take on the edible challenge! Thanks for joining me in my challenge 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever you are to search your inspiration word and use your beautiful rose stamps and stencil! I love how you used the wreath on both cards, too...You have created two gorgeous cards, Betty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only you would figure out how to use roses for the challenge, Betty--I love it!! That first card has my heart--must be cased!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two beautiful cards... I love them both..great water stamping

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cards Betty. I love the bamboo roses. Your second card has such a lovely soft tone with the background roses, so pretty with the wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two gorgeous wreath cards, Betty! Just love the cluster of bamboo roses on card one and the yummy background on card two!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful Betty - I was a aware that flowers are used for edible purpose but would never have the connection for a card!! Both cards are absolutely beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave comments - they make my day!